Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Our true enemy in writing

Many people will ask writers about writers about writers' block. Does it happen often? How do you get around it? 

Writers' block usually occurs when we as writers get stuck in a plot hole, lose interest, or just plainly get stuck. Most of the time, we brainstorm, take a break, free write, or rework other portions to get around writers' block.

However, there could be a much easier way. I love this quote because it speaks volumes about writers. We get so self-conscious of our writing. We don't want people to judge us or our writing. We get wrapped in fear that someone won't like the story or will think the writing is poor. 





I think this affects our writing. We begin to fall into a habit of writing to please others. And when we aren't sure how to keep going in a way that will make others happy, we get stuck. Or we've been writing that way for so long  that it makes it harder to write certain parts with that mindset. 

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to write for yourself. Write because you want to write. And if you do want to get published, than think of just one person and write for them. I first heard of this concept on Go Teen Writers.  I was unable to locate the exact post, but the article talked about writing for one person instead of trying to please everyone. I think that's genius! As writers we will never please everyone. But by writing for one person it makes it easier to craft a story that's what we want to write.

If you write for yourself, than it will be easier to let go of that self consciousness that plagues us from writing what we want to write. 

This week I will have a new post on my agenda and how it's helped me as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment