Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Time My Sister Had A Seizure

As you may know, about two weeks ago, I told you I would be going to NYC for a few days and wouldn't be able to post. I WAS going to New York, until my sister had a seizure the night before we were supposed leave.

A seizure is a very scary thing, everything you stand to lose is put right there in front you, warning you to be very careful. My sister, who is in a wheelchair, was going to the table for dinner when my family's new puppies walked over to her. Instantly, I went to tell her to sit back as it had become a very annoying, very bad habit. After a split second, I realized she was shaking. All I remember next was my mother shouting for me to get her a change of clothes and being told to get my father.

I ran up the stairs screaming "Daddy, daddy", words I had not used for my father in a very long time. I remember crying and feeling incredibly guilty for having snapped at her moments before, something she would not remember. An ambulance came and took her away, leaving my two other siblings and I, scared and unsure of what to do.

She came home the next day, making a full recovery. Even now, weeks later, they still don't know what had caused it. Anxiety and dehydration are what my family assume caused the first seizure my sister ever had. She is leaving for UMASS Amherst in a week. It could have also been my sister's Cerebral Palsy, a disability that gives her no use of her arms and legs.

I think the main reason I'm telling you this is because I'm leaving for NYC tomorrow, so I won't be posting until Monday. It also could be that life can sometimes get in the way of things. It might even get in the way of your writing, but you shouldn't let that stop you.









No comments:

Post a Comment