Friday, June 20, 2014

Writing About Yourself

     I'm so sorry for the lack of posts! Things have been really crazy lately. Anyway, a lot of writers I know like to write about them selves in their books. There are pros and cons to this approach, and in this post I'm going to explain of all them.


     Pros: Some writers can succeed with this approach. The book becomes a fictional diary without limits. With this process, you may not have as much writer's block because you'll have endless inspiration.






    Cons: The problem with the diary approach is that it can limit you. You can become so focused that you lose focus of the book's goal. I admit I've fallen into this trap before. I didn't wan't to give my character flaws because I didn't want to see my own flaws.  Then again, my book had been a very dramatic plot with myself as the main character. Like I said, this may work for some people, but for most, this should be avoided.
     If you want to avoid doing this,  there is a way. Instead of making yourself the MC, create a supporting character for your MC to interact with. That supporting character can become the story version you. You'll become unbiased because you will be writing about how others view you. That way, you can still be a part of your story, without falling into the diary trap.
     Writing requires you to be free from your own life and immersed in your main character's. When you write, you are not in your world, but in your MC's. If the diary approach works for you, that's great! If not, use the tip above to help you!


     I hope everyone has a happy Friday and an enjoyable weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment