Sunday, June 29, 2014

Using Your Imaginary Friends

     When you were little, you probably had imaginary friends. They were always there, and only you could see them. It may seem like your too old for them, but they could be your biggest ally (again!). You can use your old friends as characters or use the adventures you had with them as plot ideas. If you have younger characters in your story, give them an imaginary friend just like yours!
     Have an old and interesting imaginary friend? Create a character version of them. They can support your character just like they supported you when you were younger.
     Ever had a crazy dramatic adventure with your invisible counterparts? Use that story as a unique plot. You may have to tweak it a bit to be a little more "together", but those made-up adventures are story gold.
     Are you writing a story that includes little kids? Give them some imaginary friends! This gives you the opportunity to add some humor to the story and make those minor characters way more interesting!
     For me, my imaginary friend consisted of an entire world. A place where I made all the rules and weird kick jumps counted as ninja warrior attacks on my enemies. I had a boyfriend there whose name I cannot remember and so did my cousin. My cousin was also in this world (don't worry, she's real!). Somehow, we both could see the imagined world albeit very differently. A name for this world you might ask? Well, none other than "Pretend World", very original, I know.
There's a whole psychology to imaginary friends, and if you'd like to read more, head over to The Understanding Blog

Imaginary friends were (are?) our best friends as little kids, its no wonder they'll help us even as we get older!

No comments:

Post a Comment