Monday, September 29, 2014

Waiting for Perfection

You're in your first draft. You've gotten a couple of sentences down, but nothing else comes. Your head is in the clouds, waiting for those perfect words. And nothing comes. 

Why? Because perfect words don't exist. It will take so much editing before those words come even close to perfect. 

Take this following quote from Margaret Atwood, 

I agree with her 100%. I am a perfectionist, everything MUST BE PERFECT! I've struggled with it because it gets in the way sometimes. It's so hard to let it go! (Let it gooooo!) 
I had to...

Now I know, for those of you who can't write a sloppy first draft like me, this will take work.  To borrow a slogan from Camp NaNoWriMo (which is only a MONTH away!!), lock up your inner editor. When the first draft is done, let him loose, and let him do his job. But put him away until that draft is (completely, I'm looking at you anti-sloppy first draft people!) done.

This is a mug NaNoWriMo used to sell :)
What does your inner edit look like? Do you struggle with perfectionism?
Have a happy monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment