Saturday, September 13, 2014

Music in Writing





I have over 600 songs on my phone, even still, I go to internet radio for music. Especially when I'm writing.

Building a soundtrack for your book can be very helpful, and authors do it all the time. Spotify is awesome for that kind of thing. Using it, you can create playlists, and follow others. I found one that has popular songs without the lyrics, so that it's easier to focus.

Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood to write (crazy, I know!), but it happens. Putting on music that sparks an idea really helps me  get going. Not everyone can listen to music while writing. Some people prefer complete silence. For me, it feels awkward sitting there waiting for words to come. It feels too forced.

Music can influence emotions and actions, making it a great cure for writer's block. Melodies have a way of inspiring ideas and plot twists you never thought possible.

Now, I'm a smidgen biased. I love music.There's something about a powerful song that just makes me fell good. I can't even describe it. It's like this soaring feeling in your chest when you just go wow, that was amazing. Bad songs can often have off the opposite affect on me, I'll often cringe.

There are downsides to listening to music while you write, one, you can get distracted. And two, if you're listening to internet radio, there is the distraction of ads and skipping tracks.

My favorite types of songs when writing are ones that correlate with that I'm writing. For example, if my main character just got his/her heart broken, I might play some Taylor Swift.

What about you?  Do you like to listen to music when you write? What's your favorite noveling music?


No comments:

Post a Comment